SEL Instruments dive watch

Dedicated to Dive watches

SEL Instruments dive watch

Postby koimaster » October 17th 2017, 11:05am

In 2013, we set out with a vision: deconstruct the traditional dive watch, challenge every traditional embodiment, build the toughest, most accurate, daily wearable instrument dive watch in the world. Our guiding doctrine was simple: function and performance would be the absolute impetus behind all design decisions. We would insist that tradition and convention are not absolute; we should challenge and defy both when necessary – nothing was sacred.

Decide for yourself...

Four years of R&D, guided by our function first doctrine, has yielded four patent’s pending, and our first watch offering: the MKI OmniDiver™. We designed our diver to function in the most extreme environments we know: from the edge of space to the depths of the Marianas Trench, and everywhere in-between. With our proprietary Titanium casework, bracelet, and clasp engineered to real-world size, we extend true extreme performance to daily wear. The MKI OmniDiver™ just might be the world’s toughest instrument dive watch. It’s up to you to decide for yourself.

http://selinstrument.com/

http://selinstrument.com/pricing/

Marathon JSAR - https://www.marathonwatch.com/product/s ... aglo-jsar/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: SEL Instruments dive watch

Postby conjurer » October 17th 2017, 11:22am

Or, you could buy an Orient OS300 for about a grand, or a Seiko Marinemaster for about two, and tell SEL Instruments to pound fucking sand. Or, for the same money, you could buy a Rolex Deepsea, and tell SEL Instruments to pound fucking sand.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » October 17th 2017, 12:07pm

conjurer wrote:Or, you could buy an Orient OS300 for about a grand, or a Seiko Marinemaster for about two, and tell SEL Instruments to pound fucking sand. Or, for the same money, you could buy a Rolex Deepsea, and tell SEL Instruments to pound fucking sand.

Aye. Amen to that.

So, it's a big chunk of metal, with most of its "capabilities" being completely redundant - the deepest SCUBA dive ever was to the depth of slightly above 332 metres (1090 ft). 11 000m sounds like some product of Nazi megalomania - like the Schwerer Gustav railway gun, the ill-fated Maus super-heavy tank prototype... Yes, it's all fun to look at in some documentaries, but in reality these things are completely useless. And the part about it being perfect for everyday wear? It's like building a fucking battleship, and then saying that it's the perfect gondola for everyday use in Venice.

Not to mention the quartz movement. Intentionally chose not to use a COSC-certified automatic? For almost 11 grand? Damn good deal! Maybe I'll just start selling some frozen burgers at $30 each, and tell people that I could have made them fresh, with the best ingredients, but I have intentionally chosen not to. And then tell them that it's a good deal.

11 grand for a quartz piece of megalomania from a microbrand, fuck me... Maybe if they'd throw in a few bottles of some great single malt, one of champagne, a dozen cans of Russian caviar, a truly stunning hooker, and an espresso. Wait, no, that's still too pricey.

There's a lot of better alternatives to this joke of a watch - the Rolex Sea-Dweller (and the Deepsea Sea-Dweller), Tudor Pelagos, Omega Planet Ocean, Omega Seamaster Ploprof...

Fuck SEL.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » October 17th 2017, 12:29pm

Aside from the fact that there's too much shit on the dial,the hour hand is uglier than John Bobbitts dick, the crown is placed where it is certainly a pain in the ass to access,the stupid looking date, and the amount of unmitigated bullshit spewed forth in their descriptions (WTF is COSC feasible??), it looks like a fine watch.

Then there's the price

Dear SEL-a word to the wise

FTF'nW
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Rusty » October 17th 2017, 1:04pm

At that price, some sexual favors would have to be added to the price of the SEL. :mrgreen:
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » October 17th 2017, 1:30pm

Rusty wrote:At that price, some sexual favors would have to be added to the price of the SEL. :mrgreen:

They do.

Anyone who buys one is getting screwed.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby AntFarm » October 17th 2017, 2:33pm

I love how they dance around the movement... Yet they have a partnership with ETA. I bet it's inhouse... :lol:
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » October 17th 2017, 7:34pm

I read the price, I read the specs, I absorbed the hype, I laughed out loud.

That's SeL (prounced "seal," how clever) is the butt-ugliest diver ever. I don't care that it's expensive - even Croton's faux divers are less comical than that fucking thing.

That's what a Hummer-driving dolt wears on a first date.

That watch is so fucking ugly that pacerguy would consider it.

If I saw that thing on someone's wrist next to a guy wearing, say, a Seiko Turtle, I would assume the Turtle was the more expensive of the two watches.

It is so unspeakably unrefined and over-the-top garish that Lady Gaga would consider it "loud."

Once again: Rich clueless fucks need watches too, apparently, and since this diver is the top o' the tippy tippy top, according to the hype sheet, I hope that whoever is dumb enough to buy one posts a keen unboxing video somewhere. Good times.

And is it just me or does that monstrosity state both "Swiss Made" and "U.S.A. Made" on the dial? That's gotta break every FH rule about seven times.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » October 17th 2017, 7:45pm

TemerityB wrote:That watch is so fucking ugly that pacerguy would consider it.

Dang. Fuck.

That pretty much says it all.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Dive Watches