Going smaller with the Orient Bambino SS

Going smaller with the Orient Bambino SS

Postby Racer-X » February 28th 2018, 1:22am

by Patrick Kansa "The Orient Bambino. This is a watch many of you are no doubt familiar with, as it’s been quite a darling of the affordable segment. Mechanical, good design – it’s easy to see why it would be popular. While we’ve written about Orient here at WWR in the past, I’ve never actually seen one in person. Which means I was always appreciating things from afar, or simply from the photos, which as we all know, doesn’t always tell the complete story. Well, aside from our words and photos here, that is. Regardless, with the latest release of the Orient Bambino SS, we (and I) get our first hands-on taste."

Article at Wrist Watch Review
Last edited by Racer-X on June 6th 2018, 6:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 4827
Joined: June 11th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Going smaller with the Orient Bambino SS

Postby Mortuus » February 28th 2018, 1:45am

This is awesome news! 40mm case width by 12mm case height; I love it! But $305 per copy? Orient? Would they really make us small watch lovers pay that much through the nose? Or maybe the author has what's colloquially (that's "everyday speech," for those of you in Fairfax, VA) referred to as the 'wrong end of the stick.' Maybe that's just the MSR price; I mean, heck, if I already build the "Bambino" and sell it for ~$165 USD, why should the new, smaller piece be so much more expensive? Factory retooling costs? Corporate greed? Just because they CAN? I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Orient actually does here before worrying over a quoted-by-a-non-Orient-employee price that shows up in an online article... (I still don't like it, though... :???:)
Okay, so I was wrong... http://thewatchforum.net/forum/index.php ...but I was never so glad to be incorrect... ;)
User avatar
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 8759
Joined: February 3rd 2012, 11:00pm
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA

Re: Going smaller with the Orient Bambino SS

Postby artman » February 28th 2018, 2:11am

I like it.
User avatar
artman
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: February 8th 2015, 5:42pm

Re: Going smaller with the Orient Bambino SS

Postby foghorn » February 28th 2018, 3:53am

If it was 36-38 mm even I would be tempted to give it a try.
Image

"Work!!????"-Maynard G. Krebs

Like that but cat-F. Sklodowska
User avatar
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS
 
Posts: 16961
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Going smaller with the Orient Bambino SS

Postby JAS1125 » February 28th 2018, 8:47am

I have the black dial version in my Saved for Later Amazon cart, waiting for my points to build up :mrgreen:
Not sure if I'll go with that, or the champagne dial

The black dial and white are at $200 at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075K ... 316NBGTVLX
Image
User avatar
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 2044
Joined: January 29th 2013, 11:00pm

Re: Going smaller with the Orient Bambino SS

Postby conjurer » February 28th 2018, 9:24am

Mortuus wrote:This is awesome news! 40mm case width by 12mm case height; I love it! But $305 per copy? Orient? Would they really make us small watch lovers pay that much through the nose? Or maybe the author has what's colloquially (that's "everyday speech," for those of you in Fairfax, VA) referred to as the 'wrong end of the stick.' Maybe that's just the MSR price; I mean, heck, if I already build the "Bambino" and sell it for ~$165 USD, why should the new, smaller piece be so much more expensive? Factory retooling costs? Corporate greed? Just because they CAN? I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Orient actually does here before worrying over a quoted-by-a-non-Orient-employee price that shows up in an online article... (I still don't like it, though... :???:)


I honestly don't know why companies like Orient (and their owner, Seiko) continue to bother with slightly absurdly inflated MSRPs, when anybody can instantly access the interwebz and quickly find the actual street price.

Way back, my first retail job was selling fine luggage and briefcases, and our low-end brand was Samsonite. Now, Samsonite (back then, I have no idea today) was a good, serviceable brand. It held up well, protected your clothes when you were traveling, etc. But it was a brand with inflated retail, and when new stock came in we'd unbox it, leaving the Samsonite hangtags on the handle (that stated the MSRP), then put our store tags next to them, with the MSRP (which we crossed out), and the "sale" price below. Back then, it made a certain sense--most people didn't even know what the internet was, let alone access to it--and to "shop around" for the best price meant at the very least making some phone calls.

Yet, today, it still goes on. The MSRP for a Seiko SKX007 diver is $450, and yet the street price is around $200. Indeed, you'd have to go out of your way to buy it for the MSRP, even at ADs. I'd guess the new Orient (I refuse to use the term Bambino) will land around the $175-200 mark.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.


Image
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 26719
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Going smaller with the Orient Bambino SS

Postby Mortuus » February 28th 2018, 10:42am

conjurer wrote:
Mortuus wrote:This is awesome news! 40mm case width by 12mm case height; I love it! But $305 per copy? Orient? Would they really make us small watch lovers pay that much through the nose? Or maybe the author has what's colloquially (that's "everyday speech," for those of you in Fairfax, VA) referred to as the 'wrong end of the stick.' Maybe that's just the MSR price; I mean, heck, if I already build the "Bambino" and sell it for ~$165 USD, why should the new, smaller piece be so much more expensive? Factory retooling costs? Corporate greed? Just because they CAN? I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Orient actually does here before worrying over a quoted-by-a-non-Orient-employee price that shows up in an online article... (I still don't like it, though... :???:)


I honestly don't know why companies like Orient (and their owner, Seiko) continue to bother with slightly absurdly inflated MSRPs, when anybody can instantly access the interwebz and quickly find the actual street price.

Way back, my first retail job was selling fine luggage and briefcases, and our low-end brand was Samsonite. Now, Samsonite (back then, I have no idea today) was a good, serviceable brand. It held up well, protected your clothes when you were traveling, etc. But it was a brand with inflated retail, and when new stock came in we'd unbox it, leaving the Samsonite hangtags on the handle (that stated the MSRP), then put our store tags next to them, with the MSRP (which we crossed out), and the "sale" price below. Back then, it made a certain sense--most people didn't even know what the internet was, let alone access to it--and to "shop around" for the best price meant at the very least making some phone calls.

Yet, today, it still goes on. The MSRP for a Seiko SKX007 diver is $450, and yet the street price is around $200. Indeed, you'd have to go out of your way to buy it for the MSRP, even at ADs. I'd guess the new Orient (I refuse to use the term Bambino) will land around the $175-200 mark.

Thanks, John; that was the price range I was thinking it might be, but wasn't sure. And I agree with you about the silly, arcane practice of MSRP inflation, as well. Even otherwise mature, ethical companies, like Seiko -- and now, apparently, Orient -- still engage in this, so it's a no brainer that the invicters and turdlings -- AKA the less mature, ethical companies -- will follow suit, only in a more obnoxious and superfluous manner. The answer? Euthanize Eyallallow Lemonjello...
User avatar
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 8759
Joined: February 3rd 2012, 11:00pm
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA

Re: Going smaller with the Orient Bambino SS

Postby conjurer » February 28th 2018, 10:52am

Mortuus wrote:Thanks, John; that was the price range I was thinking it might be, but wasn't sure. And I agree with you about the silly, arcane practice of MSRP inflation, as well. Even otherwise mature, ethical companies, like Seiko -- and now, apparently, Orient -- still engage in this, so it's a no brainer that the invicters and turdlings -- AKA the less mature, ethical companies -- will follow suit, only in a more obnoxious and superfluous manner. The answer? Euthanize Eyallallow Lemonjello...


While the idea of Eyal laying in state in a big yellow cheesebox in the Florida capital rotunda is indeed pleasing, Orient (and more particularly, Orient USA) has been inflating retails for years. Some years back, they would embed a coupon code in their videos, promising 50% off of just about everything that O Japan allowed them to sell. The word was that O Japan got up in their ass and forced them to stop, thinking (correctly) that it devalued the brand.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.


Image
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 26719
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Going smaller with the Orient Bambino SS

Postby TemerityB » February 28th 2018, 11:13am

It's ... okay; I really like the traditional Bambino without the small seconds, but that's just me.
User avatar
TemerityB
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 14200
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: New York City

Re: Going smaller with the Orient Bambino SS

Postby Mortuus » February 28th 2018, 11:20am

conjurer wrote:
Mortuus wrote:Thanks, John; that was the price range I was thinking it might be, but wasn't sure. And I agree with you about the silly, arcane practice of MSRP inflation, as well. Even otherwise mature, ethical companies, like Seiko -- and now, apparently, Orient -- still engage in this, so it's a no brainer that the invicters and turdlings -- AKA the less mature, ethical companies -- will follow suit, only in a more obnoxious and superfluous manner. The answer? Euthanize Eyallallow Lemonjello...


While the idea of Eyal laying in state in a big yellow cheesebox in the Florida capital rotunda is indeed pleasing, Orient (and more particularly, Orient USA) has been inflating retails for years. Some years back, they would embed a coupon code in their videos, promising 50% off of just about everything that O Japan allowed them to sell. The word was that O Japan got up in their ass and forced them to stop, thinking (correctly) that it devalued the brand.

Yeah, I remember that...and weren't they also, for a time, offering a free watch with the purchase of your first Orient? I never did avail myself of that offer, but I did have to wonder exactly which 'free watch' I'd have ended up with...
User avatar
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 8759
Joined: February 3rd 2012, 11:00pm
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA

Re: Going smaller with the Orient Bambino SS

Postby Mortuus » February 28th 2018, 11:27am

Here t'is...and I gotta admit I like it quite a bit:

https://www.amazon.com/Orient-Bambino-M ... nt+bambino

I wonder if they'll do a brown & rose gold version...I gotta admit that I'd like that.
User avatar
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 8759
Joined: February 3rd 2012, 11:00pm
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA

Re: Going smaller with the Orient Bambino SS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » February 28th 2018, 2:50pm

The date window and the seconds subdial placement really are the fly in the ointment here...
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm

Re: Going smaller with the Orient Bambino SS

Postby Mortuus » February 28th 2018, 6:22pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:The date window and the seconds subdial placement really are the fly in the ointment here...

To be completely honest, Bloke, at age 59, I don't care if I ever see another date window, because instead of seeing numbers, like I used to, I now see little mini Rorschach spatters, and even they're way too small for me to try and conjure up some kind of description of just what in blue fwiggin; blazes they are...and as Andy Griffith said, on more than one occasion, "Fuck it, Barney, gimme the fuckin' bullet back before you shoot your fuckin' toes off." :???:
Okay, so I was wrong... http://thewatchforum.net/forum/index.php ...but I was never so glad to be incorrect... ;)
User avatar
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 8759
Joined: February 3rd 2012, 11:00pm
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA

Re: Going smaller with the Orient Bambino SS

Postby Pubbie » March 1st 2018, 3:07am

conjurer wrote:Way back, my first retail job was selling fine luggage and briefcases, and our low-end brand was Samsonite. Now, Samsonite (back then, I have no idea today) was a good, serviceable brand. It held up well, protected your clothes when you were traveling, etc. But it was a brand with inflated retail, and when new stock came in we'd unbox it, leaving the Samsonite hangtags on the handle (that stated the MSRP), then put our store tags next to them, with the MSRP (which we crossed out), and the "sale" price below. Back then, it made a certain sense--most people didn't even know what the internet was, let alone access to it--and to "shop around" for the best price meant at the very least making some phone calls.

Phone calls?? The way you describe it, and given my age, it sounds like this is 1975 - but in all likelihood it might well be 1995 :)
Yet, today, it still goes on. The MSRP for a Seiko SKX007 diver is $450, and yet the street price is around $200. Indeed, you'd have to go out of your way to buy it for the MSRP, even at ADs. I'd guess the new Orient (I refuse to use the term Bambino) will land around the $175-200 mark.

You can buy SKX007s all day long on the British high street for $375. Many do!
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 370
Joined: September 18th 2017, 5:35am

Re: Going smaller with the Orient Bambino SS

Postby Mortuus » March 1st 2018, 6:37am

Pubbie wrote:
conjurer wrote:Way back, my first retail job was selling fine luggage and briefcases, and our low-end brand was Samsonite. Now, Samsonite (back then, I have no idea today) was a good, serviceable brand. It held up well, protected your clothes when you were traveling, etc. But it was a brand with inflated retail, and when new stock came in we'd unbox it, leaving the Samsonite hangtags on the handle (that stated the MSRP), then put our store tags next to them, with the MSRP (which we crossed out), and the "sale" price below. Back then, it made a certain sense--most people didn't even know what the internet was, let alone access to it--and to "shop around" for the best price meant at the very least making some phone calls.

Phone calls?? The way you describe it, and given my age, it sounds like this is 1975 - but in all likelihood it might well be 1995 :)
Yet, today, it still goes on. The MSRP for a Seiko SKX007 diver is $450, and yet the street price is around $200. Indeed, you'd have to go out of your way to buy it for the MSRP, even at ADs. I'd guess the new Orient (I refuse to use the term Bambino) will land around the $175-200 mark.

You can buy SKX007s all day long on the British high street for $375. Many do!

High Street...isn't that where Grace Bros. is? :shock:
User avatar
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 8759
Joined: February 3rd 2012, 11:00pm
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA

Re: Going smaller with the Orient Bambino SS

Postby conjurer » March 1st 2018, 8:39am

Pubbie wrote:
conjurer wrote:Way back, my first retail job was selling fine luggage and briefcases, and our low-end brand was Samsonite. Now, Samsonite (back then, I have no idea today) was a good, serviceable brand. It held up well, protected your clothes when you were traveling, etc. But it was a brand with inflated retail, and when new stock came in we'd unbox it, leaving the Samsonite hangtags on the handle (that stated the MSRP), then put our store tags next to them, with the MSRP (which we crossed out), and the "sale" price below. Back then, it made a certain sense--most people didn't even know what the internet was, let alone access to it--and to "shop around" for the best price meant at the very least making some phone calls.

Phone calls?? The way you describe it, and given my age, it sounds like this is 1975 - but in all likelihood it might well be 1995 :)
Yet, today, it still goes on. The MSRP for a Seiko SKX007 diver is $450, and yet the street price is around $200. Indeed, you'd have to go out of your way to buy it for the MSRP, even at ADs. I'd guess the new Orient (I refuse to use the term Bambino) will land around the $175-200 mark.

You can buy SKX007s all day long on the British high street for $375. Many do!


If UK Millennials Had To Fight In the Battle of Britain

Top Sergeant McNasty: Scramble! The fooking Nazis are heading in with plenty of Heinkels and Stukas and shite!

Pilot Tomo "Latte" Brookes: Sorry, Sarn't, but I haven't had my pumpkin spice macchiato yet.

Pilot Toby "Grumpy Cat" Harris: Sorry, Sarn't, but after texting all the crumpet all night, my thumb's all swollen, and I can't use the "fire" button in my Spitfire.

Pilot Fitzhugh "Rainbow Unicorn" Buggermann: Sorry, Sarn't, but I've got a nasty toenail fungus, and can't put my blood flying boot on.

Top Sergeant McNasty: Bugger all! You lazy fooks get in your machines and save the bloody nation, you cocks!

"Latte": You sound just like Dirtbox.

"Grumpy Cat": So he does! Let's watch some Youtube videos of Archie Luxury!

"Rainbow Unicorn": Besides, the Nazis aren't so fooking bad. They're just, misunderstood, like.

"Latte": Did you see Roosevelt's latest Tweet? He said fuck-all about coming over here with the bloody Yanks and bailing us out against Jerry again.

"Rainbow Unicorn": Roosevelt's a real D-bag.

"Grumpy Cat": I was going to text a selfie of me in my Spit, but I was too tired to climb into the cockpit.

(Top Sergeant McNasty draws his Webley revolver and shoots all three through the head.)

The End.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.


Image
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 26719
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Going smaller with the Orient Bambino SS

Postby Pubbie » March 1st 2018, 3:27pm

Mortuus wrote:High Street...isn't that where Grace Bros. is? :shock:

I was tickled to discover whilst living briefly in Melbourne about 20 years ago that Grace Bros actually existed. This isn't a photoshop!

Image
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 370
Joined: September 18th 2017, 5:35am

Re: Going smaller with the Orient Bambino SS

Postby artman » March 1st 2018, 4:34pm

Pubbie wrote:
conjurer wrote:Way back, my first retail job was selling fine luggage and briefcases, and our low-end brand was Samsonite. Now, Samsonite (back then, I have no idea today) was a good, serviceable brand. It held up well, protected your clothes when you were traveling, etc. But it was a brand with inflated retail, and when new stock came in we'd unbox it, leaving the Samsonite hangtags on the handle (that stated the MSRP), then put our store tags next to them, with the MSRP (which we crossed out), and the "sale" price below. Back then, it made a certain sense--most people didn't even know what the internet was, let alone access to it--and to "shop around" for the best price meant at the very least making some phone calls.

Phone calls?? The way you describe it, and given my age, it sounds like this is 1975 - but in all likelihood it might well be 1995 :)
Yet, today, it still goes on. The MSRP for a Seiko SKX007 diver is $450, and yet the street price is around $200. Indeed, you'd have to go out of your way to buy it for the MSRP, even at ADs. I'd guess the new Orient (I refuse to use the term Bambino) will land around the $175-200 mark.

You can buy SKX007s all day long on the British high street for $375. Many do!

Guam too unless you personally know someone at the DFS or one of the other local stores. For the most part all the watches around here sell at MSRP because it's still cheaper than China, Japan or Russia.
User avatar
artman
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: February 8th 2015, 5:42pm

Re: Going smaller with the Orient Bambino SS

Postby Mortuus » March 1st 2018, 7:14pm

Pubbie wrote:
Mortuus wrote:High Street...isn't that where Grace Bros. is? :shock:

I was tickled to discover whilst living briefly in Melbourne about 20 years ago that Grace Bros actually existed. This isn't a photoshop!

Image
That's TOO COOL...I wonder if they have an 80 year-old guy with white hair going through there twice a day, calling out, "You've all done very well!" and then falling down...now that would be uber cool, too! 8-)
User avatar
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 8759
Joined: February 3rd 2012, 11:00pm
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA


Return to Orient

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest