Richard Hammond lives

Cars, planes, boats & movies

Richard Hammond lives

Postby koimaster » June 27th 2017, 11:38am

"I was aware that I was up high, and that inevitably the car was going to come down," said Hammond.

"And yeah of course there was a moment of dread - 'Oh God, I'm going to die'."

"Oh God, I'm going to die"

Richard Hammond on the moment he crashed

"And also I was aware that the car was taking just such a beating. I mean if you look at those craters, that's a big hole that's just impact and it looks like the thing has been dropped from space to leave a whole that big. So yeah I was probably going 'well this is it'. In fact that is what was going through my mind. I thought 'I've had it'."

https://drivetribe.com/p/im-going-to-di ... IXWUQSf6_g

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Richard Hammond lives

Postby biglove » June 27th 2017, 3:51pm

Since he also survived a 300MPH crash several years back, although he suffers with chronic pain, and a motorcycle accident for the show, he either takes too many risks or his driving skill has gone to shit. Or he may well have the shittiest luck in crashing and the best luck in surviving two of three crashes that should have been fatal to any normal man.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Racer-X » June 27th 2017, 4:11pm

Swearing LEGEND

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » June 27th 2017, 4:45pm

biglove wrote:Since he also survived a 300MPH crash several years back, although he suffers with chronic pain, and a motorcycle accident for the show, he either takes too many risks or his driving skill has gone to shit. Or he may well have the shittiest luck in crashing and the best luck in surviving two of three crashes that should have been fatal to any normal man.

Even the simplest task has an error rate. Driving is highly complex and the reality is if you do it long enough or hard enough you will come unstuck at points. Otherwise Senna would still be with us.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » June 27th 2017, 7:21pm

bedlam wrote:
biglove wrote:Since he also survived a 300MPH crash several years back, although he suffers with chronic pain, and a motorcycle accident for the show, he either takes too many risks or his driving skill has gone to shit. Or he may well have the shittiest luck in crashing and the best luck in surviving two of three crashes that should have been fatal to any normal man.

Even the simplest task has an error rate. Driving is highly complex and the reality is if you do it long enough or hard enough you will come unstuck at points. Otherwise Senna would still be with us.

Yep. Senna and quite a few others- Jochen Rindt, Jo Siffert... All were great drivers; simply, just as in everything else, accidents in racing happen.

Even Ben Collins, as The Stig, flew out of the track in a Koenigsegg- IIRC, that thanks to that test and the unfortunate way it ended, Koenigsegg finally decided to add a rear spoiler to the CCX. Hammond's accident, which was filmed alright, looked simply like he flew out of the track during a hill climb- if that would have taken place on a normal track, probably nothing would happen, but on a hillside road like that one... Besides, the hill climb isn't exactly the safest form of racing.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby biglove » June 27th 2017, 8:32pm

Hammond has all my respect as a driver and an entertainer. At some point though, one would have to wonder if he has cheated death enough times.

After the 300MPH crash he has suffered significant chronic pain and depression. Helluva' price to pay; but, he has a passion to drive and chances to drive cars that very few in the world get the chance to.

Would I have his job? Hell, yes! Would I keep doing it after what he has been through? Not too sure about that.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby codguy » June 28th 2017, 4:01am

This guy drives a racecar?

codguy
ASSHAT

Return to The Drive in