I now have to turn in my Republican card...

Cars, planes, boats & movies

Re: I now have to turn in my Republican card...

Postby Thunder1 » September 26th 2016, 11:03am

I'm sure, absolutely sure, he's pulling for HRC in tonight's debates... :)
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby eddiea » September 26th 2016, 11:08am

WatchDorks.Net wrote:I got tired of getting 16 MPG in town.

Man, I really wish I could get 16mpg in town (or anywhere) 10mpg in a good day is my trade off, all is relative.....Nice Volt !!
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » September 26th 2016, 11:16am

I've long hated electric cars for the reason you noted on the Prius, gutless.

So, a couple of weeks ago I get head-oned in my 4Runner by a schmuck who swerved over the double yellow line to go around a guy on a bike.

The next day I go to the body shop where I had her towed to go over the estimate and make sure the insurance was squared away. They are conveniently located a couplea doors down from a Hertz agency, and as I have been boycotting Enterprise for twenty-one years (they will never be #1 as a result - bwaahahahahaaa) so I go into Hertz and they don't have any of the $30 a day circus clown mini specials that my insurance covers, so rather than letting me go elsewhere, the manager offered me an SUV or a Volt (testing them as rentals) for the insurance price.

I took the Volt and have been driving it for a couplea weeks, and it is really a cool car. It's got great pick-up, is laid out really nicely, it has fantastic legs, and has incredibly good visibility. I may see what kind of trade I can work out for my old lexus - they are working hard to move them out here.

Nice catch, enjoy driving her.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » September 26th 2016, 12:13pm

I will stick to a gas guzzling, smile bringing gas hog that gets between 28-30 mpg at 80mph. I hate eco friendly cars almost as much as I hate inflicta watches or Mark Helfrich.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby WatchDorks.Net » September 26th 2016, 12:46pm

3Flushes wrote:I took the Volt and have been driving it for a couplea weeks, and it is really a cool car. It's got great pick-up, is laid out really nicely, it has fantastic legs, and has incredibly good visibility. I may see what kind of trade I can work out for my old lexus - they are working hard to move them out here.

The new 2nd generation Volt design is, according to the majority of reports, a step up from 1st gen. Biggest improvements are the greater capacity battery, quieter ride, better acceleration, and the gasoline engine improves from 35mpg to 50mpg.

I'm content with mine. Don't feel the need to trade up at this point. Still, as spry as mine is at acceleration compared to expectations, I'm tempted to drive a Gen 2 for comparison. Certainly no dragster (spend $80K+ on a Tesla if you want that), but by all accounts better than one would expect from an electrical vehicle.
Proud "hater" since 2009. Get over it and have fun reassembling yer wartches.

WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » December 19th 2016, 12:18pm

I admittedly never quite got WD's review of a year ago out of my head. It was like one of those earworms that blows unbidden across the creaky windmills of one's mind.

It's a blue LT mostly base model package which still manages to have a few more amenities than the Caddy due no doubt to the intervening 8 years. It has 4 doors and two usable seats. Oddly enough an almost full-on electric car does not have electrically adjustable seats available. Sometime in the last couple of years GM decided it was a 5 passenger rather than 4. They did this by virtue of adding a seat belt over the middle of the rear seat. The two rear seats started out suitable for medium sized dogs or emaciated children old enough not to require a car seat. The new middle seat is sized for either a spider monkey or shelf elf.

It's a December purchased 2017 which should translate into a tax credit. The tax credit, though notable, only partially mitigates the obnoxiously loud sound made by the vehicle depreciating as it's driven off the lot.

Part of why Dork's review stuck with me was my commuting profile which is around 8 miles each way to and from work and a couple miles for lunch - the long haul Florida to Texas jaunts which the Caddy handled with aplomb are no longer being made. Not unexpectedly, the first week of use has not seen a single half pint of petrol consumed.

I'm told that user intervention isn't required to keep the stagnating fuel from going to seed. After about six weeks the car will fuss at you and continue to fuss at you until it gives up and starts the ICE to burn through some of what used to be gasoline. As previously reported by WD it's strangely sprightly when it picks up its skirts and gets its little feet to scurrying onward. Not much different than the CTS surprisingly but definitely no Firehawk or Koi-car. Thus far it's rather of a pleasant surprise.

Best of all, libertarians don't have a vehicular guide line so there will be no disruption to my "none of the above" attitude.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby WatchDorks.Net » December 19th 2016, 1:08pm

Say it isn't so! I'm jealous... would love a 2017 but just not doable for those of us living in the cheap seats. Pics?

Having lived through one full winter with the Volt and going into the second with single digits here today, one nice little side benefit is that no matter how cold, there's no waiting for the engine to "warm up". Just press the ON button and pull away.

WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Wasp » December 19th 2016, 1:28pm

Maybe one of these.

I'm a professional don't try this at home. FLW
Instantaneous full torque

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o15EALghp0[/youtube]
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » December 19th 2016, 6:33pm

WatchDorks.Net wrote:Say it isn't so! I'm jealous... would love a 2017 but just not doable for those of us living in the cheap seats. Pics?

Having lived through one full winter with the Volt and going into the second with single digits here today, one nice little side benefit is that no matter how cold, there's no waiting for the engine to "warm up". Just press the ON button and pull away.

The news about the polar months is welcome though we don't get a lot of them down here Orlando way. I'll try to gin up a picture or two but to be honest it pretty much looks exactly like yours except for being blue.

I've yet to have the ICE come to life so I suppose I'll have to force it just to be sure it works.

Q: Have you found any reason why the thing should not be left in "sport" mode and regenerative braking ("L") mode all the time? If I'm reading the intertubz correctly the Tesla S defaults to those modes so we just might as well get used to them in case either of us hits the lotto.

Except for the fact that I'm planning on being dead in the next 6 to 8 years I might get genuinely curious where they're going with this thing. They've managed to reduce the owner's manual to 300-some-odd pages but made up for it by putting the "infotainment" stuff in a separate manual.

It's full of surprises. Tonight while I was chowing down at my favorite Chinese place the iPhone woke up to tell me the car was parked 90 feet from where my wrinkled white ass was sitting. Since I didn't ask for this information I'm not sure I like receiving it.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby WatchDorks.Net » December 19th 2016, 6:45pm

Actually the body lines of the 2017 are very different from the Gen 1, but I've seen enough publicity pics. :lol:

Hawk wrote:Q: Have you found any reason why the thing should not be left in "sport" mode and regenerative braking ("L") mode all the time? If I'm reading the intertubz correctly the Tesla S defaults to those modes so we just might as well get used to them in case either of us hits the lotto.

In your case, Sport + L is perfect as a default setting. I drive mine that way all the time except if the roads are extremely icy or snowpacked, in which case I leave it out of Sport mode (more likely to get wheel spin in Sport on ice).

In the Gen 1 it doesn't save the "Sport", so I have to set that every time I start the car. Minor annoyance. If yours allows you to save it in that config, I would.

WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » December 23rd 2016, 6:12pm

...just checking back in momentarily to acknowledge that, mostly due to overcast, I have taken no pictures.

However, since I seem to be enjoying this thing more than I would have guessed I will soon have some comments on the Amazon power station including install which is now scheduled for 12/28. It should be the 40amp, 240V gizmo needed if the lotto graces either of us with a Tesla S or similar.

The ICE kicked in today on the way back from Orlando to Kissimmee.

While I've endured worse in my lifetime the volt ICE is not something I wish to enjoy again any time soon.

Oh yeah, and nothing has changed: it reverts back to "normal" after being left in "sport". I may not have noticed this except you had me looking for it.

Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby AJC » December 25th 2016, 7:26am

TLDR;Dorks drives a hybrid.

Love ya buddy ;)
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby codguy » December 25th 2016, 7:42am

I have a *hybrid also .....

*hybrid meaning it burns both gas and rubber.

Sorry Dorks for the minor Cecil..

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Hawk » December 25th 2016, 12:54pm

Back when I had my Firehawk (a must purchase as they named it after me) I noticed it was flexfuel. It could run on either 93 octane or hippie tears.

Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Hawk » December 28th 2016, 11:20am

Done and done - all jacked in or up or whatever.

But I am still vocally in favor of the XL Pipeline and sanguine with drilling the fuck out of ANWR.

So this maybe just evens things out a teensy bit.

Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby WatchDorks.Net » December 28th 2016, 12:35pm

Very nice. Yeah, the lines of the Gen 2 are definitely more sleek than the Gen 1.

WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Previous

Return to The Drive in