Goodbye Corvette, hello Corvette

Cars, planes, boats & movies

Goodbye Corvette, hello Corvette

Postby Datsun240Z71 » November 5th 2017, 5:11am

Traded my 2013 Grand Sport (owned since 4/15) yesterday for a new 2017 Grand Sport.

Unfortunately the salesman (good guy!) and I noticed some very minor (but obvious) paint damage on the 2017 upon final inspection where the front fascia and hood/fender come together, so they're body shop is going to have to repair the damage. Two other brand new Corvettes on the lot had similar damage, and they said they'd had about three more previously. It's a manufacturing issue obviously. It seems the gap tolerances were too tight, as the other undamaged cars had a slightly bigger gap.

I"ll keep my car until they do the repairs, which is no big deal to me.

The 2017 is night and day different, particularly the interior. Love the seats and all the other improvements they've made on the C7, especially on this one the two tone seats, the carbon fiber roof, side skirts, splitter, etc., the red hashmarks and mostly the chrome wheels (a $1,995 upgrade... what? Ridiculous.) Automatic with data recorder and underhood GS logo and Heritage package.

They had the 2017 on "closeout" and offered me basically book value on my trade, which is in pristine condition.

Randy in Nashville
Datsun240Z71
Watchlord WIS

Re: Goodbye Corvette, hello Corvette

Postby Mortuus » November 5th 2017, 5:39am

O holy SHEET, Batman! BOTH automobiles bring out the ropy-veined empurplement in my nether regions that can only spell but one thing: Le boneúr supréme! The older I get, the more I appreciate the beauty and graceful lines behind this automobile's timeless design, not to mention the superlative engineering beneath the hood. It truly is more than a mere "car;" it genuinely fulfills the meaning behind and the definition of the word "automobile." Congratulations on your new acquisition, and I hope you continue to enjoy the unique sensation of waving "hi" to everyone by means of your rear-view mirror! It Jest Tew KEWL, Mon... 8-)
"My inner cynic tells me that if the Chinese are all in on renewable energy it's similar to finding out the Ferengi have endorsed solar." - Hawk
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » November 5th 2017, 5:40am

Dang, Randy.

GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby MAX » November 5th 2017, 5:59am

Beatuiful! Havent had a Corvette since 1993 but the new ones are growing on me.

Nice color combination. Glad you didnt get the murdered out black wheels.
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."
MAX
Founding Member

Postby codguy » November 5th 2017, 6:27am

Nice! :Beerbang:

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby JAS1125 » November 5th 2017, 7:32am

Beautiful....love the color.
Congrats Randy
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » November 5th 2017, 7:45am

Dang. Fuck.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bobbee » November 5th 2017, 8:03am

Woah, what a stunning car.
You need a watch that matches...

"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » November 5th 2017, 8:30am

The C7 is one of the best values on the market, Congrats. Really like this color combo GS.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » November 5th 2017, 9:28am

Racer-X wrote:The C7 is one of the best values on the market, Congrats. Really like this color combo GS.

Yep...both models are eye catchers..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » November 5th 2017, 2:32pm

Frankly, I just dig the fact that a guy who dubs himself Datsun drives 'Vettes.

From the former owner of a 1974 Camaro with a 350, still the most fun-to-drive car I ever had - good on ya. Green with envy here.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » November 5th 2017, 7:06pm

Damn!

I was just happy to cruise in my 2016 Maxima back and forth to NOLA at a steady 82-98MPH. Got it up to 112MPH in a pass. Would have liked to take it to the electronically limited 134MPH but had my 85 year old Dad and my wife in the car.

Have driven 163MPH before but that was 1991 on the I-55 elevated bridge over Manchac, LA. I had far better vision and reaction times then. Hell, I used to cruise that car at 136MPH when I worked in New Orleans. The trip today took 4’15”. I have made it in an hour less averaging 96MPH. Today I averaged 76MPH most of the trip.

Will you sneak the new Vette towards its top speed on a safe road?

What’s that beast’s 0-60?!
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby nimbleboy » November 5th 2017, 8:35pm

Is the interior noise too much to bear? I heard they're noisy.

HAHAHAHAHA! I kid. I couldn't give a rat's ass about that. I've always loved 'Vettes...

I think the new ones look fantastic.
Is it safe?
nimbleboy
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » November 5th 2017, 10:08pm

Looks awesome. How's the lume?
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby artman » November 5th 2017, 10:32pm

Sweet ride. Drive fast! Take chances!
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Datsun240Z71 » November 6th 2017, 4:51am

TemerityB wrote:Frankly, I just dig the fact that a guy who dubs himself Datsun drives 'Vettes.

Thanks for all of the compliments guys. Can't wait until I take delivery.

It is a bit noisy, as is the 2013, mainly due to the HUGE rear tires. The exhaust tone can be programmed also using the 4 different settings that manage the ride, throttle and transmission mapping and other parameters: Weather, Touring, Sport and Track.

I've owned my Datsun 240Z since 1987, hence my "handle". I also bought a 95 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo this past June. These are my two "grail" cars (sorry Foghorn). I wanted a 240Z when I saw the first pics in AutoWeek back in 1969 (I was 12), and the 300ZX since I first saw one in 1990. I just wish it was a yellow 1990 model, but this unmolested example was too nice to pass up.

Randy in Nashville
Datsun240Z71
Watchlord WIS

Postby Thunder1 » November 6th 2017, 5:41am

^^You've a garage full of fun cars to drive..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » November 6th 2017, 6:54am

Datsun,

My best friend in college had that exact Z. We drove the hell out of it! At 130MPH it felt like it was on rails!

Do you drive them fast?
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Datsun240Z71 » November 7th 2017, 4:53am

biglove wrote:Datsun,

My best friend in college had that exact Z. We drove the hell out of it! At 130MPH it felt like it was on rails!

Do you drive them fast?

My 240Z tops out at about 124 mph on the speedo. It's a 4 speed car and is just screaming at speed, and the front end gets a little light. The car has 278,000 miles on it and drives great. Original engine has not been rebuilt! I've had it on the track here in Nashville, Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motor Speedway.

The 300ZX is pretty quick. 280 hp (it's an automatic) and weighs over 3500 pounds. It was advanced engineering for the 90s with rear steering and the turbos. I've had it up to 110 and it handles like it's on rails! It's got some suspension mods, but it is bone stock everywhere else. 81,000 miles and drives great and everything works.

The red Corvette (C6) is very quick. I've had it to 140! It allegedly will do about 185, but i'll never verify that. 430 hp, 6 speed auto with paddle shifters.

The silver Corvette (C7) is even quicker, but will be limited to about 170 due to the aero package that allows it to stick on the track in high speed corners. The 8 speed auto is much improved from the previous C6 in that it shifts quicker and is more sophisticated, plus you can program the car with various settings including Weather, ECO, Touring, Sport and Track. I should take delivery early next week.

I've not had a ticket in about 18 years. Gotta pick your spots. Thankfully there's some great lightly traveled backroads right near our house. I reserve "driving stupid" for when I'm alone (although my wife always goads me to "go faster") and only during the day on roads I know.

I've not had an accident since the 80s.
Randy in Nashville
Datsun240Z71
Watchlord WIS

Postby biglove » November 7th 2017, 7:03am

Sounds like you have learned the limits of your abilities and your cars’ coupled with the sense of where one is less likely to get ticketed. I only ever had one slide into a ditch on a 90° turn when I was in my early 20s. Tickets are another matter.

Haven’t had a ticket in at least 15 years but in my youth I had at least 13 for speed. God thing I had a two friends in the local CA and DA offices. Think I only paid fines for about half and all but one of those was out of town.

Like you, I now choose my roads for fast driving carefully. Prefer daytime, elevated roads to avoid wildlife and be able to se rogue tire bits.

Alone on new tires and the right conditions I would likely take mine to it’s max but it sure isn’t 170! Wow!

Happy that you are getting the new Vette. The technology on newer vehicles is just amazing. Real sci-fi stuff!

Have you seen the Koenigsegg Agera RS record run at 284MPH (max-not official)?It gives me a stiffie!

https://jalopnik.com/this-is-what-koeni ... 1820157256
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » November 7th 2017, 7:21am

You'se guyz are nuckun' futz!
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby TemerityB » November 7th 2017, 8:49am

foghorn wrote:You'se guyz are nuckun' futz!

In one of the best possible ways. :wink:
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Datsun240Z71 » November 7th 2017, 4:03pm

Randy in Nashville
Datsun240Z71
Watchlord WIS

Postby koimaster » November 8th 2017, 7:47am

Nice ride Randy. My next car is either the 2013 C6 427 convertible or a C7 some time next year. Enjoy the looks of admiration from others and remember that almost every kid wants to own a vette some day.

I still enjoy my C5 too much to part with it so I will have vettes to warm me up. :roll:

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Return to The Drive in