The entire newsletter here.

The entire newsletter here.

Postby koimaster » August 11th 2010, 4:15pm

foghorn wrote: The words "members" and the phrase "cut off" in the same sentence makes me feel a bit Bobbitty.

I wanted to thank you for being part of Watchlords, the only uncensored watch forum currently on the net. What started as an experiment in free speech, with the ability of members to praise something or be critical of it has been successful. While we do not have great numbers as far as members, which has never, been the goal of Watchlords.

Watchlords exists because all too often forums for one reason or another do not allow free speech. In many cases, this is to avoid offending sponsors, which is understandable. In other cases, the membership is more comfortable without the rough edges that Watchlords has.
We have been successful in opening eyes and informing the public about the Dubois-Depraz issues which have since been scrubbed from the primary Invicta/shopnbc watch forum.

Another success has been in keeping the Swiss labled watches with Chinese movements out there, as well as the recent fake diamonds in watches sold by a certain brand. Watchlords has been working with several people outside of the forum in an attempt to keep the public not only informed of events, but to also help those involved find the information that has somehow managed to disappear in many cases.

Nick English of Bremont was very surprised to discover a certain watch brand had cloned his newest watch. Plasticase never knew about some of the other issues involved with a certain brand of watches. Dubois-Depraz was provided videos as well as all of the unedited posts, which have since disappeared from site. The Swiss Federation legal team has let us know they appreciated the photos and posts of watches labled Swiss that in reality have Chinese movements.

Several people at Watchgeeks and elsewhere have called Watchlords a hater site. Watchlords “Hates” the lies told to buyers spending their hard-earned dollars only too often finding out they did not get what they paid for. Watchlords “hates” having members of a certain forum having to register under an alias because they might be banned for joining or commenting openly at Watchlords. The words below ring hollow to many of us who have watched members of a certain forum banned for being critical of the sponsor or site owners or for comments posted elsewhere.

To :

Date : Tue, Jun 02, 2009 12:38 PM

Now... onto the "spying" comment. You know as well as I do that admins of other watch fora have done rather unscrupulous things to gain access to areas of our forum. You also know, by reading some folks posts, that they have created false identities in order to gain access to all member-exclusive areas of the forum. We do not "spy" or anything like that. When you see or hear us comment on posts at WTW, they are form public, open-access forums that any unregistered guest can read. I have also made it CRYSTAL CLEAR to my entire staff that no one bans a WG member for what they say on another forum. Now if someday a member really crosses the line, that may change... but it would have to be very, very serious.

-Jim

Watchlords contiunes to add more and more videos, articles and links to our site, which are related to the hobby we all share, Horology. Watchlords encourages members and non-members alike to visit other sites and links to many of them are in the General Foum under Other Suggested Sites. Unlike some forums, Watchlords encourges other forums to use what information we have posted here on their own sites since this is a hobby and not a contest to see who wins a prize.

We hope you enjoy the site albeit is a bit rough around the edges. The self- moderation model has worked thus far and as the forum matures and slowly grows, the rough edges may soften just a bit but not too much.

Please feel free to join the conversations and thanks again for making Watchlords one of your stops.
Last edited by Anonymous on October 28th 2010, 6:21am, edited 2 times in total.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The entire newsletter here.

Postby Bigjimzlll » August 11th 2010, 4:15pm

The last line said something about posted by Jim Skelton...I almost wrote you to ask about it...but
Bigjimzlll
Watchlord WIS

Postby koimaster » August 11th 2010, 4:19pm

Bigjimzlll wrote:The last line said something about posted by Jim Skelton...I almost wrote you to ask about it...but

I have the letter saved at my office but it related to the spying by skelton and the resulting bannings at geeks. It also stated that other forums could copy items here since this in not a contest but a hobby to be shared.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby BigCheez » August 11th 2010, 4:37pm

koimaster wrote:
Bigjimzlll wrote:The last line said something about posted by Jim Skelton...I almost wrote you to ask about it...but

I have the letter saved at my office but it related to the spying by skelton and the resulting bannings at geeks. It also stated that other forums could copy items here since this in not a contest but a hobby to be shared.

The text, fine, but all of my images are copyrighted. And non-doctored! Image
BigCheez
ASSHAT

Postby boscoe » August 12th 2010, 5:25am

Hey guys! I won the Skelton Spider Watch koi was giving away.
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby Guest » August 12th 2010, 10:33am

I got another e-mail just a short while ago and it was cut off as well.

Postby foghorn » August 12th 2010, 11:12am

What would Mehdi do???

"Work!!????"-Maynard G. Krebs

Like that but cat-F. Sklodowska
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby tinman1965 » August 12th 2010, 11:23am

Maybe I'm missing something but what newsletter?
tinman1965
Founding Member - WIS

Postby BigCheez » August 12th 2010, 11:37am

tinman1965 wrote:Maybe I'm missing something but what newsletter?

You didn't get the top-secret, world-domination plan newsletter?

Ummm, nevermind
BigCheez
ASSHAT

Postby BigCheez » August 12th 2010, 12:15pm

Excellent job, Koi!

I think this site is wonderfully-entertaining, with some of the sharpest and wittiest satire of the various watch sites.

WL also has broken important news and held certain watch companies and sales outlets accountable for their more dubious actions.

This place isn't for everybody, but it is a fun and entertaining place to enjoy the hobby and let off steam.

Congratulations on your success!
BigCheez
ASSHAT

Postby tinman1965 » August 12th 2010, 12:34pm

Excellent newsletter. Why this site does provide a venue for people to vent their frustrations towards a particular brand, forum, various personalities, etc., this forum thanks to Alain is really a watch consumers site in addition to the regular forum content. Just look at all of the contact that Alain has had with reputable watch related companies/entities in regards to shady business practices that ultimately effect the watch buying consumer.

Thanks again Alain for the site!
tinman1965
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Laid_Back_Dude » August 12th 2010, 1:19pm

I too got another news letter, it also was cut off.
Laid_Back_Dude

Postby koimaster » September 2nd 2010, 9:50pm

:nude:

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Laid_Back_Dude » September 3rd 2010, 1:32am

Thank's Koi for this forum & for having me here.
Laid_Back_Dude

Postby Guest » September 3rd 2010, 4:41am

I consider it a privledge to be a member of Watchlords. Thankyou Koi and to the other members for the work you are doing to keep this an open honest place where members can enjoy themselves.

Return to The Watchlord Archives - The early years