The state of watch forums - update this puppy

The state of watch forums - update this puppy

Postby koimaster » November 2nd 2011, 7:16am

While doing some research I re-visited some of the more established forums, some I belong to and some I of them I am an unwanted orphan from. I have been involved in what are known as watch forums for many years, long before the koimaster moniker came out. Lots of changes in that time, from the old BBS boards to sponsored sites.

One forum I just visited is nothing but ads even for members which hampers loading time even with a business cable connection speed of 75mb. One royal one had so many dealer ads in the sales forum that I could only see a few private sellers. In my opinion some are so heavily moderated (I will not name any forums in this post) that I saw nothng but mundane posts, almost all of which praised rather than discussed topics.

It strikes me that only the newer or smaller forums allow members to speak openly or with some reasonable moderation. I can think of four which fit that bill, all started in the last 3 years. I wonder if there is a place in the future for smaller forums or will they go the way of the larger, more established ones in time.
Last edited by Anonymous on May 3rd 2012, 1:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The state of watch forums - update this puppy

Postby boscoe » November 2nd 2011, 7:23am

I suspect forums will die off in the next five years and be replaced by facebook (whatever that is)
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby koimaster » November 2nd 2011, 7:29am

boscoe wrote:I suspect forums will die off in the next five years and be replaced by facebook (whatever that is)

I disagree. I have seen quite a few geeks at facebook as well as some user groups but the formats are hard to follow and the history of the discussions almost impossible to find.

As an example, the watchlords facebook page has few discussions although we probably post more watch related information than any one out there. I do see tons of people at Invicta and Seiko related facebook pages which are sterile IMHO.

https://www.facebook.com/watchlords

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby TemerityB » November 2nd 2011, 9:32am

Frankly, I think we've already seen FB shoot its wad in the past six months; people are becoming more disillusioned with it by the day as it becomes more corporate and filled with ads. The other end of what FB users come up with, such as Invicta Addicts, is so puerile and incompetent that it only attracts the most mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging sort of TV watchers in the first place.

I'd wager that smaller and more serious sites such as this one are going to hold sway. I log on to a few other sites a few times a week as well, and wow, is there little of interest there. I'm not as cynical as many here; I enjoy seeing photos of watches and news of new releases regardless of brands, and reading buyers' impressions of them. Get a few really smart and knowledgeable types like you find here and boom, it's a place you visit every day. Add to that the daily comedy of meandering half-assed WGs bouncing in and out like handballs, and it becomes can't-miss entertainment.

On the other hand, a few watch forums suck because they just suck. How anyone could look forward to logging on to a couple of them - no graphics, no POV, just lines of type - fairly boggles my feeble mind.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby koimaster » November 2nd 2011, 9:36am

Well, we have been called "angry" by many forums including recently. Hate filled and other choice words. I guess the truth and adult behavior in a PC world take getting sued to.

I agree with your take on the IA @ facebook types.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby mrneddles » November 2nd 2011, 9:58am

FB is a sales vehicle for watch companies, constructive criticism posts are routinely scrubbed.

Very few watch forum out there worth spending anytime IMO.

I do check in with ablogtoread and hodinkee frequently.
mrneddles
Watchlord WIS

Postby Guest » November 2nd 2011, 11:38am

Watchtalkforum is a clear example, that site is control by sponsors. Go to the sale section and see, the only people selling watches are dealer like discountwatchstore dumping a bunch of Invictas. You don't see alot of members there selling.

But what do expect from someone like John. He is a fucking whore

Postby andrema » November 2nd 2011, 11:42am

IMO, the smaller forums have more of a community feel to them. They will hold on as long as the members are engaged in the discussion as well as the hobby. Members come and go, but they tend to return to the sites where they tend to have a commonality with the membership.

The larger sites, like WUS, tend to be more "corporate" and less likely to have consistent contributions from its members.
andrema

Postby Watch Guido » November 2nd 2011, 11:51am

[font='Verdana']Watch forums today, on one extreme I have doubts the person flashing an over the top $150k watch really has it, I think anyone who travels in those circles really does not need accolades from us common folk sporting a Rolex. On the opposite side of the spectrum, I do not have much in common with those that like them Gaudy and Plated. At one time I spent a lot of time and effort on forums. [/font]
Watch Guido
Senior Member & WIS

Postby eddiea » November 2nd 2011, 12:32pm

Interesting thread.... I for one belongs to a few forums, have no time to post but in this one and a rare post on Relojes Especiales ( excellent spanish forum) ..unlike Guido, I'm cool with the high-end crowd, frosty with the blingy brethren... don't give a shit what folks prefer, don't give a shit what others think about my preferences....
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Watch Guido » November 2nd 2011, 12:53pm

[font='Verdana'][color=#040070][font='Verdana']I can fit in with the High End Richard Mille crowd and anyone when they are sincere.[/font] [/font][/color]
Watch Guido
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Guest » November 2nd 2011, 1:35pm

I think forums are going to keep going. That's where some people go for info first.

Postby Hawk » November 2nd 2011, 2:19pm

This is the only watch forum I regularly visit.

In addition to the obvious virtue of being without advertisements, it's considerably more than a watch forum.

It allows (if not encourages) diverse topics on politics, religion and the like. The free-wheeling nature of the sundry sub-forums reminds me of my favorite atheist forum. I come here for advice on motorcycles and other totally non-watch related issues and am never disappointed. In other words, it would take 3 or 4 other forums to replace this one - quite the admission from someone generally considered to be "obsequious challenged".

I've pissed away an unconscionable amount of cash on watches since I joined here a year or so ago. Mostly based on what I learned here but I still can't claim to be a WIS - right this minute I have scant interest in another watch, though I'm sure that will change. Right now, I'm suffering through a period of "watch ennui".

If an edict were rendered that stated "watch content only" I'd likely go away other than to lurk. In the meantime, I actually enjoy having my world view challenged in the off-topic sections.

If there's another forum worth a shit, it has escaped my notice.
This space available for lease
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby koimaster » May 3rd 2012, 1:25pm

I thought it was time to update this thread a bit. Renatogeeks has come and gone and come and gone again. Watch Talk Forum has been sold, WG is IMHO dying a slow death salvaged only by newbies who come and then leave.

I read a post at RG in the "activity" thread which stated that Facebook and other social network sites were the future.

WL has a facebook page which I update with the vids we upload here but I seldom post anything else there. To me it is a real waste of my time. I have to cancel game requests, and the bullshit of putting you into groups without your permission. IMO it has become nothing more than a sales site and a site to mine personal information from you.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby DBCooper » May 3rd 2012, 3:23pm

Facebook just isn't like forums and it never will be, to me anyway. All they care about is likes. They don't really want anyone to say anything just like their page. Shit on facebook.
After all, no ham-wristed louts complained when all watches were 34mm - no cries of "looks like a little girl's watch on my wrist!" Like King Canute on the beach, that's where I draw the line - come what may.

Falstaff, May 19, 2014.
DBCooper
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » May 4th 2012, 10:28am

DBCooper wrote:Facebook just isn't like forums and it never will be, to me anyway. All they care about is likes. They don't really want anyone to say anything just like their page. Shit on facebook.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby hawkeye » May 4th 2012, 10:36am

facebook is only good for real life friends and family imho.For friends on a forum.. a forum is best.. just my humble view.
hawkeye

Postby koimaster » July 10th 2018, 9:55am

Guest wrote:Watchtalkforum is a clear example, that site is control by sponsors. Go to the sale section and see, the only people selling watches are dealer like discountwatchstore dumping a bunch of Invictas. You don't see alot of members there selling.

But what do expect from someone like John. He is a fucking whore

You cannot even send a PM unless you pay for it.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby foghorn » July 10th 2018, 9:58am

WTF,WTF??

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby koimaster » July 10th 2018, 10:04am

foghorn wrote:WTF,WTF??

Didn't his highness start the patron program way back when? I wonder what ever happened to him and his tool ulackfocus? JBH looks to have posted last in 2010 and ulackfocus as well. No posts from me anymore show up. They appear to have replaced me with a number.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Return to The Watchlord Archives - The early years