RGM Unveils a New Movement and Three New Watches

Watch brands with roots in North America

RGM Unveils a New Movement and Three New Watches

Postby koimaster » September 27th 2017, 8:52am

RGM recently celebrated its 25th anniversary by welcoming visitors into its Mount Joy, Pennsylvania, headquarters and to the NAWCC Watch & Clock Museum in nearby Columbia, Pennsylvania. There, founder Roland G. Murphy took advantage of a special weekend celebration to introduce three new RGM timepieces and an update of its in-house Caliber 801 movement.

Thus, in addition to the tours and watchmaking demonstrations, visitors to RGM’s 25th anniversary celebration were the first to see the three new RGM watches and the new Caliber 801SW, the firm’s fourth in-house movement

http://www.iwmagazine.com/featured-news ... ign=buffer

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: RGM Unveils a New Movement and Three New Watches

Postby svaglic » September 27th 2017, 9:55am

I am really into the model 25. Wow, what a nice watch. I'm not even arguing with the price on this one. Oh man, if I wasn't remodeling a house and saving to buy another one I could see myself getting this.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: RGM Unveils a New Movement and Three New Watches

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 27th 2017, 10:25am

"...turned in their case to place the crown at the vintage 1:30 position, a location favored by many early 20th century railroad watches."
What the fuck? Do show me an early 20th century railroad wristwatch. None? Good, because there weren't any. Railroad wristwatches were a thing of the 1950s. 19th and 20th century railroad PWs were pro maiori parte in a lepine (open-face) configuration with crown at 12, maybe also some "sidewinders" with crown at 3, but no front cover (as a savonnette aka hunter configuration would have). Crown at 1:30 makes no sense in a pocket watch, and PWs were pretty much the only railroad watches of the early 20th century.

The small movements of wristwatches and ladies' pendant watches could well have been made to a similar standard as railroad chronometers, but that doesn't make the watch a railroad one.

The crown at 1:30 could have had two reasons for it to be there:
a) the manufacturer used a movement previously intended for a ladies' open-face pendant watch
b) the watch was intended for the military, pilots or drivers - that configuration is practical when you hold a steering wheel, a yoke or a rifle, and wear the watch on the inner side of the wrist to keep an eye on it at all times.

Reason b) does not exclude reason a).
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to North American Roots