The Vero VS-SS - Portland, Oregon

Watch brands with roots in North America

The Vero VS-SS - Portland, Oregon

Postby koimaster » July 11th 2017, 4:51pm

Lately, the “where” of a watch has, in some cases, become almost as important as the “what.” The origins of components, the names of designers, and the ZIP codes of assembly workshops are as much a part of the conversation as are the hours of power reserve and the diameter of a case. Witness the recent Shinola “Built in Detroit” ruling or Moser’s “Make Swiss Made Great Again” campaign, for example. What price do we put on honesty? Is a watch the sum of its parts? Are we willing to pay a little extra for a mostly American-made watch? These are all questions that come to mind when assessing the Vero VS-SS.

Vero is a small company based in Portland, Oregon. Started by a pair of watch enthusiast friends, Chris Boudreaux and Danny Recordon, the company frankly wasn’t even on my radar until they offered to send one of their watches to review. I was skeptical, given the sheer number of hit-and-miss micro brands out there, but I kept an open mind. Something that both gave me pause and also intrigued me, was the price of the watch they sent, the VS-SS. This simple time-only watch sells for $2,900. That’s pre-owned Tudor or modern Speedmaster territory, a nice Oris and a lot of cool collectible vintage watches can be had for that money as well. It’s $1,000 more than the high-quality Sandford I reviewed last year from that other small American brand, Oak & Oscar. So let’s see what you get for that money.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/vero- ... e-question

https://vero-watch.com/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The Vero VS-SS - Portland, Oregon

Postby bedlam » July 11th 2017, 5:00pm

Really interesting watch...and certainly its way more likely I'd put money here than on cheap chinese crap that has the spirit of Detroit waved over it.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby jaw » July 11th 2017, 5:07pm

I think Kelly (RedBarPDX founder) is affiliated with this watch.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby koimaster » July 11th 2017, 7:07pm

jaw wrote:I think Kelly (RedBarPDX founder) is affiliated with this watch.

Not sure but i will be setting up a meeting with him inthe next couple of weeks and take him up on his offer to review it.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby jaw » July 11th 2017, 7:14pm

koimaster wrote:
jaw wrote:I think Kelly (RedBarPDX founder) is affiliated with this watch.

Not sure but i will be setting up a meeting with him inthe next couple of weeks and take him up on his offer to review it.

I'm certain it's his endeavor now. You'll probably see one live tomorrow.
He uses these events to (tastefully) feed his repair/sales business.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby biglove » July 11th 2017, 8:16pm

For that price, from an unknown brand, it had better be amazing.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby svaglic » July 12th 2017, 6:18am

The hodinkee article was good, it peaked my curiosity and I clicked on the Vero site to check their watches out. There is only this one at the present, but I am looking forward to seeing other offerings from them.
Usually I appreciate tattoos, but the one on the arm displaying this watch, on the Vero site, threw me. Was it a prison tattoo? A scratch tattoo done out of boredom? Once I saw it, I couldn't focus on the watches anymore.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » July 12th 2017, 7:02am

svaglic wrote:The hodinkee article was good, it peaked my curiosity and I clicked on the Vero site to check their watches out. There is only this one at the present, but I am looking forward to seeing other offerings from them.
Usually I appreciate tattoos, but the one on the arm displaying this watch, on the Vero site, threw me. Was it a prison tattoo? A scratch tattoo done out of boredom? Once I saw it, I couldn't focus on the watches anymore.

Noticed that myself. Since it's a Pacific Northwest brand, I figured those were tall pines. Hipster chic, nonetheless.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby koimaster » July 12th 2017, 8:39am

They were indeed pine trees, hopefully without the bark beetles :lol:

1946-2006

koimaster