Page 1 of 1

watches worn by powerful CEOs

PostPosted: May 14th 2018, 8:36pm
by koimaster
For some businessmen, a wristwatch is more than a time-telling device. It's a statement.

"A watch is the greatest icebreaker there is," says Hamilton Powell, the CEO of Crown & Caliber, an online secondary market for luxury watches.

"In an unfamiliar city, I can approach a complete stranger and with two words eradicate any barriers," he tells Business Insider. "Nice watch."

http://www.businessinsider.com/watches- ... eos-2017-3

Re: watches worn by powerful CEOs

PostPosted: May 14th 2018, 9:54pm
by bobbee
They can't watchspot for shit.
Jeffrey Immelt is wearing a Breitling Chronospace M78365, the quartz model in pvd, so why show a picture of an automatic chrono?

Akio Toyoda is not wearing a Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119G. This model has Roman numerals and is steel, Toyoda is wearing a gold watch with Arabic numerals.

Dara Khosrowshahi is said to be wearing a Chopard Mille Miglia 16/8997, a sort of sport style 3 hander, yet the watch he is wearing has chronograph pushers.

There are a couple of others, have fun spotting them...

Just seems like a nice, big advert for Crown & Caliber used watches to me.

Re: watches worn by powerful CEOs

PostPosted: May 15th 2018, 3:13am
by Pubbie
koimaster wrote:"In an unfamiliar city, I can approach a complete stranger and with two words eradicate any barriers," he tells Business Insider. "Nice watch."

There's a great story I once read, probably on a BBS, about a guy who tried just that in a lift (ok, elevator) in a midwestern American city somewhere. He said "nice watch - is that a long-font rail-dial flat-O feet-first crown-up six five three eight Subbie-wubbie" or something equally anorak. The wearer announced "I'm not gay" and got off at a floor different to the one he had pushed the button for.

If you live in "luxury watch" world everything revolves around you I guess. Where I was born, sadly, "nice watch" is followed by "giss it now", and a flash of steel.

Re: watches worn by powerful CEOs

PostPosted: May 15th 2018, 3:22am
by bobbee
"Nice watch" followed by "Giss it now."


:lol:

Re: watches worn by powerful CEOs

PostPosted: May 15th 2018, 7:09am
by Rusty
While no longer a CEO, a story on another website had Bill Gates wearing a $40 Casio MDV106-1A.

Re: watches worn by powerful CEOs

PostPosted: May 15th 2018, 7:16am
by foghorn
Rusty wrote:While no longer a CEO, a story on another website had Bill Gates wearing a $40 Casio MDV106-1A.


The watch worn by winners everywhere!!!



Image

Re: watches worn by powerful CEOs

PostPosted: May 16th 2018, 8:22am
by boscoe
Kim Jong Un wears a bad-ass Seiko monster!

Re: watches worn by powerful CEOs

PostPosted: May 16th 2018, 11:45am
by gerdson
In 14 years working for this software company as a consultant, getting a round a lot, I think there was a total of two occasions where anyone ever was interested in my watch. One was a colleague noticing my Speedmaster, mentioning it was the watch of his dreams (he was early in his career and could probably not afford one yet). The other occasion was also a younger colleague, to whom I actually sold a nice Tissot Chronograph out of their 1853 anniversary line. And that is about it. Then in my new job one of my direct reports has a nice golden Datejust. All the rest of watches I have noticed on my colleagues wrists is fashion junk. If they do wear a watch at all.

I do have a close friend who actually is a CEO in a daughter of a major German utilities company. He does own a JLC Reverso. Another friend, being a big animal at Chokolate and sweets producer Fererro doesn't wear a watch either.

Re: watches worn by powerful CEOs

PostPosted: May 16th 2018, 1:35pm
by TemerityB
gerdson wrote:In 14 years working for this software company as a consultant, getting a round a lot, I think there was a total of two occasions where anyone ever was interested in my watch. One was a colleague noticing my Speedmaster, mentioning it was the watch of his dreams (he was early in his career and could probably not afford one yet). The other occasion was also a younger colleague, to whom I actually sold a nice Tissot Chronograph out of their 1853 anniversary line. And that is about it. Then in my new job one of my direct reports has a nice golden Datejust. All the rest of watches I have noticed on my colleagues wrists is fashion junk. If they do wear a watch at all.

I do have a close friend who actually is a CEO in a daughter of a major German utilities company. He does own a JLC Reverso. Another friend, being a big animal at Chokolate and sweets producer Fererro doesn't wear a watch either.


My wife works for a big firm in NYC, with a lot of guys and women who are like killing it financially. All the partners and managers there are like night and day: From Patek to Timex, depends on the person's personal tastes. And I'm happy to report that nobody ever sneers at anyone else for wearing an inexpensive watch - just like it should be.

Re: watches worn by powerful CEOs

PostPosted: May 16th 2018, 3:28pm
by Pubbie
You ought to get yourself to a place where people judge the holy living fuck outta you, and you don’t even have to get out of bed - it’s called WUS. In fact, reading some comments there, it looks like most of them are still living in their mother’s basement!

Re: watches worn by powerful CEOs

PostPosted: May 16th 2018, 8:02pm
by TemerityB
Pubbie wrote:You ought to get yourself to a place where people judge the holy living fuck outta you, and you don’t even have to get out of bed - it’s called WUS. In fact, reading some comments there, it looks like most of them are still living in their mother’s basement!


That's a big reason why I glance at WUS but hang here.

Re: watches worn by powerful CEOs

PostPosted: May 16th 2018, 8:59pm
by biglove
Our last CEO was a bipolar fuckwit and wore a Pepsi GMT. Our current CEO, an old friend of mine, wears a Citizen Chrono I helped him pick out. Our ACFO wears a Citizen I gave him.

Most hospital CEOs I have encountered in the last 30 years are fairly reserved in their watch choices. As the years have gone by most MDs I work with have really stopped wearing expensive watches. I see more <$200 watches now than ever in hospital environments.

Re: watches worn by powerful CEOs

PostPosted: May 16th 2018, 10:19pm
by bedlam
Who cares what watch Gordon Gecko wannabees wear?

Re: watches worn by powerful CEOs

PostPosted: May 17th 2018, 2:23am
by Pubbie
I have a mild aversion to modern Omegas, seen too many 20-something peacocks flaunting them as they sit behind their laptops and pretend they’re James Bond. But I do like old ‘70s models and used to read the Omega subforum there. Several years ago you’d have found threads about old Geneves, oddity Seamaster chronos, and old gold. But now:

“Can I WANK myself off in front of a mirror wearing the latest internetz Speedy Tuesday whilst browsing Hoodwinkee for validation?”

Anyway. Nicest guy I know wears an Ebel, and very fine it looks too.