Modem Killer: WatchTime New York

Re: Modem Killer: WatchTime New York

Postby artman » October 15th 2017, 10:31pm

I think I may have gotten diabetes from all the eye candy I just consumed! Thanks TB that was awesome.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » October 16th 2017, 2:40pm

artman wrote:I think I may have gotten diabetes from all the eye candy I just consumed! Thanks TB that was awesome.

My pleasure.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby tiktok » October 16th 2017, 3:14pm

Hey TB, was that you with the free-flowing tall Ukranian in Prada? That was a super show but one wonders who is buying all these special pieces. I I work in luxury market but high volume. People will never run out of needs for cosmetics or shoes but these gorgeous watch pieces, how many can be bought?
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » October 16th 2017, 4:59pm

tiktok wrote:Hey TB, was that you with the free-flowing tall Ukranian in Prada? That was a super show but one wonders who is buying all these special pieces. I I work in luxury market but high volume. People will never run out of needs for cosmetics or shoes but these gorgeous watch pieces, how many can be bought?

I think Watch Time Magazine looks at this show as almost a mini-U.S. Baselworld; you'd be surprised at how many attendees weren't from New York at all, at least based on a lot of the people I bumped into - people actually traveled to attend this event. But to answer the last question? I think these shows are meant to whet appetites and make the most rabid watch collectors eventually pick up that once-in-a-lifetime piece. In cases of brands like Moritz Grossman and the like, I'd wager the show is more for developing interest among retail types and/or distributors (though they recently forged a relationship with Chrono24 and are selling direct through their website). As for high volume: I have no freakin' idea. But as someone who has experience in both retailing and media, I've always believed that quality begets quality - attract quality buyers who are satisfied and they'll return two, three, four times. But WTF do I know.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby tiktok » October 16th 2017, 9:40pm

You are absolutely correct TB, Grossman is the sheer titz. Germans distribute weird ways. The brand has a ton of retailers in Germany and Japan but only Cellini in the States. Cellini is in an odd place, they dropped their store in the Waldorf and packed inventory for two big stores into an uninviting store front on Madison. Greubel-Forsey, HYT, Moser, Grossman and all the main players packed into a White Castle is a hot mess. They can deliver decent discounts vs the boutiques which must be their driving wheel. They can deliver from Switzerland to NYC in 24 hours. I once saw Michael Jordan buying some VC in there. It has a map of Africa on it if you know the one.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » October 17th 2017, 8:01am

tiktok wrote:You are absolutely correct TB, Grossman is the sheer titz. Germans distribute weird ways. The brand has a ton of retailers in Germany and Japan but only Cellini in the States. Cellini is in an odd place, they dropped their store in the Waldorf and packed inventory for two big stores into an uninviting store front on Madison. Greubel-Forsey, HYT, Moser, Grossman and all the main players packed into a White Castle is a hot mess. They can deliver decent discounts vs the boutiques which must be their driving wheel. They can deliver from Switzerland to NYC in 24 hours. I once saw Michael Jordan buying some VC in there. It has a map of Africa on it if you know the one.

Ya know...I've never walked into Cellini. Despite my meager "knowledge" and from-afar love of fine watches I can't really afford, I tend not to bother with places like Wempe on up - I don't want to waste anyone's time, or my own. But cripes - if I can see Moser in the wild, I'm gonna have to go do some play acting.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Falstaff » October 17th 2017, 8:19am

TemerityB wrote:
tiktok wrote:You are absolutely correct TB, Grossman is the sheer titz. Germans distribute weird ways. The brand has a ton of retailers in Germany and Japan but only Cellini in the States. Cellini is in an odd place, they dropped their store in the Waldorf and packed inventory for two big stores into an uninviting store front on Madison. Greubel-Forsey, HYT, Moser, Grossman and all the main players packed into a White Castle is a hot mess. They can deliver decent discounts vs the boutiques which must be their driving wheel. They can deliver from Switzerland to NYC in 24 hours. I once saw Michael Jordan buying some VC in there. It has a map of Africa on it if you know the one.

Ya know...I've never walked into Cellini. Despite my meager "knowledge" and from-afar love of fine watches I can't really afford, I tend not to bother with places like Wempe on up - I don't want to waste anyone's time, or my own. But cripes - if I can see Moser in the wild, I'm gonna have to go do some play acting.

Wear a monocle and address salespeople as "my good man".
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » October 17th 2017, 8:25am

Falstaff wrote:
Wear a monocle and address salespeople as "my good man".

This induced me to cachinnate.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby TemerityB » October 17th 2017, 10:22am

Falstaff wrote:Wear a monocle and address salespeople as "my good man".

:lol:

Actually, I'll wear my ratty safari coat from college and a pair of Chuck Taylors. If you can't win, confuse.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Previous

Return to General Watch talk