Ramblng Incoherence 'Bout Watches & Stuff

Ramblng Incoherence 'Bout Watches & Stuff

Postby TemerityB » October 6th 2017, 3:46pm

Meanderings from someone often described by those in the know as “that guy over there”:

The annual WatchTime New York exhibition (from what I understand, watches can actually be ordered from the manufacturers as well) is next weekend here in New York City (October 13 (already sold out) and 14). I went for just as couple of hours last year and I had a blast; if you guys want photos from this year's event I'll take 'em. Good array of brands this year, in addition to a Longines historical display in the lobby and a bunch of panel discussions: A. Lange, Alpina, Omega (they'll be showing the hot, at least in my mind, new Speedmaster Racing Master Chrono), Armin Strom, Antoine Preziuso, Demonico, Baume & Mercier, Bell & Ross, Blancpain, Brequet, Bremont, Carl F. Bucherer, Chronoswiss, Czapek, Frederique Constant, Glashutte Original, Graham, JLC, Jaquet Droz, Longines (a late addition), MB&F, Moritz Grossman (like the Allman Brothers sang, dreams I'll never see), RGM, Romaine Gauthier, Grand Seiko, Speak-Marin (I'm hoping Chong shows up, too), Tag Heuer, Zenith, Wempe, and Voutilainen, which I admit I have never heard of. Another special thing about it: Great champagne and all the Swiss chocolates you can scarf down without looking like you're standing in line for government cheese. If you're interested, just check out the WatchTime website.

What is it with municipalities, stores, libraries, and towers that install a big clock for all the world to see, and then never fix the thing once it stops? My area is rife with them. From pizzerias to banks, there are clocks that just sit there, never running; one I pass every has told me it's 4:16 for at least 10 years. It's either laziness or cheapness, but a running, classic clock makes something sort of a landmark. Not running make the businesses/buildings look like closed Blockbuster Video places.

For years, I've typed in the words “I prefer automatics” but at this stage, everything's even to me now. Give me a quartz with an end-of-life indicator and I'm cool with that. If you don't like my quartz pieces, well, it's on you.

Things to do on a listless Sunday afternoon: Walk into your local Tourneau, where an overzealous salesperson will lodge his or herself up your ass like a glycerin suppository. Walk over to the Omega counter and say, “Wow, I really like that one,” but point at the wall. “Which Omega,” the salivating, hopeful suit will drool. “That one,” say again. “I … what?” will say the overbearingly trained sales android. “Well, if you're not going to sell me that Omega wall clock, fuck you,” tell the amateur retail annoyance, then walk away whistling “Vambo Marble Eye” by The Sensational Alex Harvey Band.

I have no reason to buy any more property, but Elizabeth Banks in those realtor.com ads could make me buy a month-old 7/11 fits sammich. Double that for Jennifer Garner in those bank ads. This stuff could make me into a common consumer; I'm not made of wood.

I am thinking of opening a bakery called Ed Bagel Jr.

Despite last year's woe and doom-and-gloom: Is it just me, or have prices on virtually everything gone up from 10 to 30 percent this year, even pre-owned? I see watches I picked up pre-owned (Seamaster, a Tag Heuer) with asking prices way, WAY over what I paid for the same pieces years ago – and the watches aren't even near in the like-new shape of the ones I have when I bought them.

I went to high school with the father of outfielder Michael Brantley of the Cleveland Indians; Mickey Brantley played for The Seattle Mariners.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: Ramblng Incoherence 'Bout Watches & Stuff

Postby foghorn » October 6th 2017, 4:04pm

Enjoyable reading.

If you make it to the exhibition can you do me a favor? Drop by the MB&F exhibit and piss on it. Tell 'em it's from me. TIA
I,also, do not eschew quartz watches.

I rarely enter my local Tourneau since they hired cast-offs from the now defunct Precision Time.

If Ed Bagel Jr. also sells Bialys I'll be right down. Discount for eating with my pecker?

I remember Mickey Brantley.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby codguy » October 6th 2017, 4:08pm

Pocket afew Zeniths for me, I'll give you ten cents on the dollar for them.

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Mark1 » October 6th 2017, 4:12pm

Yes, do take some pics.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby biglove » October 7th 2017, 10:13am

Photos would be quite nice.

Hey, gub’ment cheese makes THE best grilled cheeses sammiches EVER. As a kid my grandmother handed out “commodities” to the elderly. USDA always sent too much so we got the extra cheese. I remember cutting off blocks as thick as a pack of smokes and woofing ‘em down. Needless to say, constipation was a problem from early on.

Have fun.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » October 7th 2017, 4:16pm

biglove wrote:Photos would be quite nice.

Hey, gub’ment cheese makes THE best grilled cheeses sammiches EVER. As a kid my grandmother handed out “commodities” to the elderly. USDA always sent too much so we got the extra cheese. I remember cutting off blocks as thick as a pack of smokes and woofing ‘em down. Needless to say, constipation was a problem from early on.

Have fun.

Okay gents - my pocket camera's comin' with me. Cell phone cameras suck for stuff like this.

You know, you're right - I have had a gov't cheese sammich; my late parents used to volunteer in a soup kitchen and they'd give extras to workers or else they couldn't serve the stuff past the expiration date. It wasn't bad.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Mark1 » October 7th 2017, 6:03pm

I've never sampled the guvmint cheese, but I did stand in line for some unemployed friends of mine long ago to get a brick for them. I remember thinking the color looked a little off.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby TemerityB » October 7th 2017, 7:13pm

Mark1 wrote:I've never sampled the guvmint cheese, but I did stand in line for some unemployed friends of mine long ago to get a brick for them. I remember thinking the color looked a little off.

Looks kinda like an oversized gum eraser, right?
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to General Watch talk