Shrug! Who cares what watch it is!

Shrug! Who cares what watch it is!

Postby koimaster » October 5th 2017, 9:06am

So this morning I showed the photos IWB posted of his new Omega PO 2500D to my daughter viewtopic.php?p=407568#p407568. She shrugged and said "it just looks like a dive watch." I was surprised considering she has some nice watches of her own although she is more of a diamond and emerald lady like her mother was. I pointed out it was an Omega and that I would like to buy one in the future. Her response almost made me want to ask to her to leave my home forever. "Dad, it is just a watch and unless you know who Omega or companies like them are, no one cares." Now it is true no one has ever grabbed my wrist to compare watches but damn, that was a surprise coming from her.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Shrug! Who cares what watch it is!

Postby labman » October 5th 2017, 9:41am

"Dad, it is just a watch and unless you know who Omega or companies like them are, no one cares."

Have to agree with your daughter's assessment - no one really cares.

Someone from the WIS community may comment on a watch but that community is such a small proportion of the general population that comments from strangers on a watch are few and far between, if at all.
labman
Watchlord WIS

Postby kevco » October 5th 2017, 9:41am

NO ONE every asks me about anything I wear. Even if its like my ultra rare 1938 Gruen Ristside that I paid $865.00 for. It just something that very,very few people care about.
kevco
Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » October 5th 2017, 9:44am

koimaster wrote:So this morning I showed the photos IWB posted of his new Omega PO 2500D to my daughter http://www.watchlords.com/forum/viewtop ... 68#p407568. She shrugged and said "it just looks like a dive watch." I was surprised considering she has some nice watches of her own although she is more of a diamond and emerald lady like her mother was. I pointed out it was an Omega and that I would like to buy one in the future. Her response almost made me want to ask to her to leave my home forever. "Dad, it is just a watch and unless you know who Omega or companies like them are, no one cares." Now it is true no one has ever grabbed my wrist to compare watches but damn, that was a surprise coming from her.

But she knows all about your Corvette, doesn't she?
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » October 5th 2017, 9:49am

In the wider world no one really cares. Tales of having people grab wrists or comment on watches seem to be, for the most part, restricted to something that would get anyone's attention - like a glass encrusted, cable-festooned dinner plate with moving parts and protuberances.

Unless it looks like something that could be used for a lighthouse or aircraft avoidance beacon comments from non-WIS will be relatively rare.

I did once have a 39mm Grand Seiko commented on but that's about it for the last decade.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby N0V0 » October 5th 2017, 10:02am

Totally agree! No one really cares what brand it is, but if it's something that really sticks out and looks awesome people take notice.
N0V0

Postby Falstaff » October 5th 2017, 10:37am

You sure she's your daughter? Maybe replaced by a pod person? Brainwashed by a sinister cult?
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby iwasbanned » October 5th 2017, 11:01am

if she likes shiny things, tell her to put it on mesh:

iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » October 5th 2017, 11:25am

Thunder1 wrote:
koimaster wrote:So this morning I showed the photos IWB posted of his new Omega PO 2500D to my daughter viewtopic.php?p=407568#p407568. She shrugged and said "it just looks like a dive watch." I was surprised considering she has some nice watches of her own although she is more of a diamond and emerald lady like her mother was. I pointed out it was an Omega and that I would like to buy one in the future. Her response almost made me want to ask to her to leave my home forever. "Dad, it is just a watch and unless you know who Omega or companies like them are, no one cares." Now it is true no one has ever grabbed my wrist to compare watches but damn, that was a surprise coming from her.

But she knows all about your Corvette, doesn't she?

She is driving it today

Falstaff wrote:You sure she's your daughter? Maybe replaced by a pod person? Brainwashed by a sinister cult?

I sometimes wonder about her. She has this stare that makes you appear not to be there at times. Just like Carol.........

iwasbanned wrote:if she likes shiny things, tell her to put it on mesh:

Like the mesh and as I tell her, that shiny stuff she likes also drives Bass wild.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » October 5th 2017, 11:39am

People rarely care about what watch does one wear. Frankly, I think it's important that we care what we wear, it's a part of what makes us the WIS that we are. WIS to WIS, we care what another person wears, but we can't really expect a non-WIS or likes-watches-but-not-a-WIS person to care.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby codguy » October 5th 2017, 12:08pm

Methinks everyone has this all wrong..............................

perhaps she doesn't want you spending anymore of her inheritance. :dssd:

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby AntFarm » October 5th 2017, 1:19pm

I've only had one person, that I didn't know, ask about a watch I was wearing and he sure as hell didn't grab my wrist to see it. Even my friends and family, though they know my obsession, don't comment about my watches. They just don't give a care...
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Postby labman » October 5th 2017, 1:33pm

AntFarm wrote:... Even my friends and family, though they know my obsession, don't comment about my watches. They just don't give a care...

^^^^^^^
Yep
labman
Watchlord WIS

Postby biglove » October 5th 2017, 4:31pm

My coworkers, family and friends notice at times. Only one, a bit of a WIS herself, has a clue about cost. The rest are mostly, “you bought ANOTHER watch?”

I wear them for me.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Racer-X » October 5th 2017, 5:38pm

I don't notice or care when someone is wearing an $800 pair of shoes/sneakers, carrying a $1000 purse or wearing expensive jewelry.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » October 5th 2017, 5:42pm

I once had a very elegant European MILF comment on my watch; she said, "That is a very nice, very expensive watch, isn't it?" Unfortunately, I was wearing a Doxa Divingstar. In any event, I raced to the rest room and rubbed one out like a mental patient.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby AntFarm » October 5th 2017, 6:12pm

Racer-X wrote:I don't notice or care when someone is wearing an $800 pair of shoes/sneakers, carrying a $1000 purse or wearing expensive jewelry.

QFT... but I always look at their watch.
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » October 5th 2017, 6:50pm

Who can say? It's funny - my wife prefers Omega and Hamilton and Hublot (don't ask) - but she could give a gibbon's ginch what the movement is. We talk about movements, she acknowledges them - but when it came time to buy her a Constellation, she preferred the quartz and wanted no part of the automatic models.

As for your daughter, koi - well, I guess all I can say is: Who can say?
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » October 5th 2017, 7:29pm

AntFarm wrote:
Racer-X wrote:I don't notice or care when someone is wearing an $800 pair of shoes/sneakers, carrying a $1000 purse or wearing expensive jewelry.

QFT... but I always look at their watch.

I notice watch, jewelry, shoes, cut/fit of clothing. Also look at nail beds, look for finger clubbing, hair growth patterns, prominence of veins, stains on skin from smoking, health of teeth, facial/body symmetry.

Maybe it is a nurse thing, assessing on the fly?
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby bobbee » October 6th 2017, 3:45am

Slim, understated, with an element of grace and elegance.

I wish to fuck I was...
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » October 6th 2017, 3:51am

I'll occasionally notice watches on others. I suppose it's a natural reaction given the long embedded obsession. Sometimes when I see someone wearing a beat up old Timex that has obviously been a daily wearer for years I wonder "Why the hell can't that be me"?
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Datsun240Z71 » October 6th 2017, 4:07am

The looks and lust from others are directed solely at those sporting Invictas. I thought everyone here knew that by now!
Randy in Nashville
Datsun240Z71
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » October 6th 2017, 8:39am

foghorn wrote:I'll occasionally notice watches on others. I suppose it's a natural reaction given the long embedded obsession. Sometimes when I see someone wearing a beat up old Timex that has obviously been a daily wearer for years I wonder "Why the hell can't that be me"?

More proof I'm a dick: If I see watch on a guy (but not women), I'll do everything short of squint to see what it might be. NYC is funny for watches - I see CEOS wearing gumball machine watches, and guys on the subway in Queens wearing IWC. So I do look - and I never pass judgement, I swear I don't ... uh .... okay, I stifle guffaws at Venoms and such, but those aren't watch people in the first place.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby codguy » October 6th 2017, 9:05am

TemerityB wrote: okay, I stifle guffaws at Venoms and such, but those aren't watch people in the first place.

Nor are they actual watches.

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby svaglic » October 6th 2017, 9:10am

I notice watches others wear. Once I was in line at Best-Buy for customer service. The guy who I ended up with to help me was impatient and short. I looked at his watch and asked if it was a Tag, he looked at me and had a huge smile on his face and said yes. I commented that it was nice and he had good taste. He went over and beyond with my service after that.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Next

Return to General Watch talk