Sensible Case Sizing: Heading Back To The New Normal

Sensible Case Sizing: Heading Back To The New Normal

Postby koimaster » February 13th 2018, 1:24pm

Sensible Case Sizing: How The 2018 SIHH Showed Us We Are Heading Back To The New Normal

by Martin Green

There is a certain sense of irony in it: while trying on a new Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore I realized during the 2018 SIHH that current trends seem to favor smaller watches.

The Royal Oak Offshore naturally felt profoundly huge on my wrist. That is a good thing because some things in life are at their best when they are huge: engines in American sportscars and, according to my esteemed colleague Robert-Jan Broer of Fratello Watches, schnitzel are just two great examples.

I was therefore quite pleased that the Royal Oak Offshore collection remains large (even though the re-edition of the original Royal Oak Offshore felt somewhat modest at 42 mm) and that Panerai has kept the new Luminor Logo at its original 44 mm.

For the rest, it seems that the watch world has finally returned to its senses with smaller sizes. And that is a good thing.

https://quillandpad.com/2018/02/09/sens ... ew-normal/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Sensible Case Sizing: Heading Back To The New Normal

Postby TemerityB » February 13th 2018, 2:44pm

I've said it from the moment I joined here: Ginormous sports watches? You might as well a space helmet, a thong, beach flip flops, and a big fucking red nose as you walk down 5th Avenue, because that would be far less goofy. Hey, pacer!
Bet those Swiss Legend owners are so happy their "Sapphitek" crystals have a 10-year warranty. Oh, wait...
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby bedlam » February 13th 2018, 4:46pm

Watch case size isn't a right-wrong thing IMO necessarily. I think case size should relate to the task. Certainly, if you are going to have a big case it should be so you can accommodate a big dial, hands, complications, etc. So bigger flight and dive watches make sense.

What I never understood was watches like the EcoZilla. Massive case with a tiny recessed dial. That was a too big case for no good reason.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » February 13th 2018, 6:54pm

Well, it's not as if watches could just continue to get bigger.
"Mr. Crowley - what went wrong in your head? Mr. Crowley - did you talk with the dead?"

Ozzy
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » February 13th 2018, 7:06pm

bedlam wrote:Watch case size isn't a right-wrong thing IMO necessarily. I think case size should relate to the task. Certainly, if you are going to have a big case it should be so you can accommodate a big dial, hands, complications, etc. So bigger flight and dive watches make sense.

What I never understood was watches like the EcoZilla. Massive case with a tiny recessed dial. That was a too big case for no good reason.

I agree on all points.

Not to mention average (10 to 13 lignes) movements in massive cases, where the size (not justified by anything in terms of functionality) doesn't reflect the capabilities. I mean, an ETA 2824 in a 43-46mm case with a 30m WR rating? Fuck, no.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » February 14th 2018, 9:56am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Not to mention average (10 to 13 lignes) movements in massive cases, where the size (not justified by anything in terms of functionality) doesn't reflect the capabilities. I mean, an ETA 2824 in a 43-46mm case with a 30m WR rating? Fuck, no.

I got shit on another forum for suggesting that a big, heavy 45mm sportswatch in look-at-me black with 50m WR was like a Ferrari with a 120 bhp four-banger under the hood. All mouth and no trousers. The best the industry stooges over there could come up with was "well big watches are popular".

Not now they're not! Looks like size for the sake of it is goin' down. I now wish my Airman was a few mm smaller :)

Still. Glad the days of monstrosities like this are over; just look at what they did to the seconds dial to hide the fact that its frottering up against the central pinion:

Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Pubbie » February 14th 2018, 9:58am

Falstaff wrote:Well, it's not as if watches could just continue to get bigger.

When was "peak bling"?

Remember this pile of shit? It's real. So my vote is for 2008.

Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk