Ridiculous Watch Deaths

Ridiculous Watch Deaths

Postby relaxer7 » October 12th 2017, 3:55am

Bit of a daft one but was wondering... What's the most stoopid way you've killed a watch?

Here's mine:

This is going back quite a while but the picture the scene, after quite a lot of Stella Artois one afternoon we left our campsite and decided it would be a good idea to take more beer with us and get some canoes onto Lake Ullswater… being quite drunk and all in our 20’s this was obviously a great idea and knowing nothing could go wrong I took to the water with my, phone, wallet and car keys in my pocket… Oh, and a non-water resistant Armani tank strapped to my wrist (I know, I know, it was a long time ago).

After much capsizing and the losing of said beers I’d had enough and sort of swam/waded ashore with all my belongings soaked…. Minus one watch!

On the plus side it was on a croc strap so might have felt at home at the bottom of a lake?
Last edited by relaxer7 on October 12th 2017, 5:45am, edited 1 time in total.
relaxer7
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Ridiculous Watch Deaths

Postby Thunder1 » October 12th 2017, 4:28am

In the summer of '67 or '68(I was about 12 or 13), my new step father had bought me a Seiko of some sorts that he had purchased for me at the Tan Son Nhut AFB Exchange upon his departure from 'Nam...I'd had it for only a couple of days when I was told to mow the front lawn one weekend..I took the watch off my wrist and carefully placed it on top of my mom's orange VW wagon before I started to mow..as I finished mowing the first row from our driveway towards one of our neighbor's house, I turned around to mow back towards our driveway..My mom had already driven off w/ my Seiko on top of her VW and that was the last time I saw it...damn!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Wasp » October 12th 2017, 4:58am

I had a... ahhhm... friend at the gym that was the Admin Astnt to a honcho at Tag Heuer. She bought Tags for pennies on the dollar. I took her up on an offer.
In the day I was a rather strong ... a rather very strong fellow. Started the golf game and took divots resembling four pound strip stake. The bigger the divot the happier I was. Proudly wearing my Tag Super Professional I excavated earth at a remarkable rate. Hitting a baseball on the wrong spot on a bat is nothing compared to hitting a golf ball too fat or hitting a root or rock. The ole ticker stopped ticking. I hand carried it to the East coast Tag Heuer repair facility located in Springfield NJ. I handed the watch over and was politely asked if I would like to wait. OOH KAAAAY. Well Hans with the multiple monocle loop attached to the headband briskly came out with controlled alarm and in heavy Germanic accent said .... "HOW DID YOU DO THIS? I don't understand" I told him and his demeanor went right to oxycontin land. "Wait I will fix it" Why yes sir Oberstleutnant. A while later he brought it out, all good. No charge. I was ready to buy a new one, what the hell did I know.

Albiet a happy ending I murdered it.

Hans scratching his head over causality was priceless.
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » October 12th 2017, 6:36pm

I'm a serious bowler, and about six or seven years ago, I put an Omega watch in the ball sling (fabric carrier), and proceeded to roll a series. Forgot I put it in there, so after the evening, I simply took the 15-pound ball and slammed it into the sling.

No more Omega. Among the stupidest watch things I've ever done (well, along with buying an Invicter or two).
"May I suggest chicken?" - HF
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Mark1 » October 12th 2017, 6:56pm

Just a couple months ago, I killed one of my favorite watches. I was working in the garage and took my watch off to avoid scratching it up. Set it on the end of my workbench, and got back to what I was doing. Took some stuff apart and spread the parts around my bench. I heard something fall to the concrete floor and knew right away what it was. It is a 7750 chrono and the lower pusher was jacked up and the watch no longer runs. Took it to a local guy that has a watch but mostly clock shop, and let's just say my first impression didn't make me real confident in his abilities. He said the mainspring was broken plus likely other gear damage. He can't get parts for it so he couldn't fix it. Trying to find someone who can fix it or perhaps just swap another 7750 out of a watch I like a lot less. The irony is that if I'd kept it on in the first place, it may have a scratch on the dial but would no doubt still run.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby koimaster » October 12th 2017, 9:27pm

Mark1 wrote:Just a couple months ago, I killed one of my favorite watches. I was working in the garage and took my watch off to avoid scratching it up. Set it on the end of my workbench, and got back to what I was doing. Took some stuff apart and spread the parts around my bench. I heard something fall to the concrete floor and knew right away what it was. It is a 7750 chrono and the lower pusher was jacked up and the watch no longer runs. Took it to a local guy that has a watch but mostly clock shop, and let's just say my first impression didn't make me real confident in his abilities. He said the mainspring was broken plus likely other gear damage. He can't get parts for it so he couldn't fix it. Trying to find someone who can fix it or perhaps just swap another 7750 out of a watch I like a lot less. The irony is that if I'd kept it on in the first place, it may have a scratch on the dial but would no doubt still run.

The redbar guy could probably fix it. He is a watchmaker

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Mark1 » October 12th 2017, 9:45pm

koimaster wrote:

That's what I had heard from Christopher as well. I got his email from Jeffrey and I tried contacting him through his website and email and never got a reply.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby bobbee » October 12th 2017, 11:59pm

I won a lovely 1980-ish Seiko 5 sports diver on ebay about ten-twelve years ago, and when it arrived wore it to work to show my team. We were renewing telegraph poles in north Derbyshire, a notoriously rocky area.
I proceeded to dig out a hole for a new pole, using a 2-metre pointed bar to break out the rock, and forgot to take off my new watch...
...wouldn't go with any amount of shaking after that!
It's what started me off (trying to) repair my own watches.
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » October 13th 2017, 12:15am

Mark1 wrote:
koimaster wrote:

That's what I had heard from Christopher as well. I got his email from Jeffrey and I tried contacting him through his website and email and never got a reply.

I just sent him an email a bit ago. Will see if he responds. If not watchwerks in Portland can repair it.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby relaxer7 » October 13th 2017, 2:29am

TemerityB wrote:I'm a serious bowler, and about six or seven years ago, I put an Omega watch in the ball sling (fabric carrier), and proceeded to roll a series. Forgot I put it in there, so after the evening, I simply took the 15-pound ball and slammed it into the sling.

No more Omega. Among the stupidest watch things I've ever done (well, along with buying an Invicter or two).

Oh that's a real beauty! Bet you were gutted with that one :lol:
relaxer7
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » October 13th 2017, 4:37am

I am proud to say that I have never killed or even seriously maimed a watch.
Except for this one time.....at band camp.....

I did however toss a Wenger once when the crown fell out and the second hand came off in the space of 2 days.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Mortuus » October 13th 2017, 4:28pm

About 20 years ago, I went to the Navy Exchange and picked up what was almost certainly the biggest, ugliest electronic sports watch I'd ever seen. It was made by Wilson Sports, and had something like six tyme knobs on each side, a large 'readout screen' (about 40mm wide x 35mm long) atop a more conventional digital watch (which was right at 38mm W X 38mm L) and a nice rubber strap. Though not silicone rubber, it was still a far cry from the softened and cracked plastic of my old Casio. It got a lot of looks (and giggles and even some what-the-fuck-is-that's), but I , for some reason, absolutely loved the thing.* (Keep in mind that this was back in '97, eleven years before I watched my first TV Wartch show, so my choice of watches was (1) my HS grad present, a quartz Omega Seamaster, or (2) whatever my current running watch was. I kinda miss that sort of easy choice, truth to tell, but maybe I can be like Conjurer and Bigloaf, and get myself down to 15 or 20 high-performa nce watches...oh, well, a guy can try...)

As this was before I got my stupid ass schwacked on 911, I was still surfing, and the day after I got the watch, a couple of my buddies and I went to try our luck with the Hawaiian surf. And my new watch? Well, since it said it was "Water Resistant to 100M," I figured I was good to go. We were out on the water for about three hours that day, and I remember the waves were nice, well-formed things that definitely challenged us , but we all did really well, with no major wipeouts. And the watch? No [apparent] problems. It was full-on submerged many times, but it seemed to keep right on working just fine. We went back to the carrier, where we showered up and then went to dinner. I left the watch in my stateroom, and it was still working when we left.

When we got back later that evening, the first thing I did was check on the watch, and what I saw were two little fog clouds, one in each of the display windows. And the LCD displays? Deader than, well, me. One of my buddies, who was something of a 'watch goob," opened it up, and there it was, the bad news; the watch was not as 'water resistant' as its makers had led me to believe. Four little drops of salt water fell from the opened case. My 'watch goob' friend removed the battery, and then told me to find a dry, sunny place to put the watch so that any remaining water could evaporate. After a week or so, we'd try a new battery and see if the scheme worked.

I put the watch -- opened case back and all -- in the cockpit of my assigned F/A-18 Hornet, to one side of my HUD, unobtrusively placed into an area that had constant sun during the day. I even flew with it there a few of times. Despite all these efforts, at the end of a nice,sunny week, it was still, well, let's put it this way: what is Tupac, spelled backwards? I mourned the loss of that big, ugly watch, and kept hoping it would start up again, but I had to face facts and finally moved on. I still think of that big, ugly watch to this day. But it's death was not in vain; never again did I take the manufacturer's word about water resistance...and neither should you! So THERE, dammit!

Note: I wish I had a stock photo of the thing, but this was 20 years ago, and I just can't find any pictures of it now. Trust me when I say it was B&H (Big and Hideous), but I still loved it on first sight anyway... ;)
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby gerdson » October 13th 2017, 4:54pm

Great stories. I have yet to kill a watch completely, as it seems, but sure enough dinged some of mine heavily. I am more into resurrection.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby AJC » October 13th 2017, 7:00pm

I told this crazy broad I wasn't interested in her anymore. I also forgot she had borrowed one of my vintage watches.

Before:

After:
(Returned from work to find this in a plastic Wawa bag hanging from myfront door knob.)
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mortuus » October 13th 2017, 7:50pm

AJC wrote:I told this crazy broad I wasn't interested in her anymore. I also forgot she had borrowed one of my vintage watches.

Before:

After:
(Returned from work to find this in a plastic Wawa bag hanging from myfront door knob.)

Wow! I guess that was what she wanted to do to you, but, like most chickenshit asshole vandals, she beat up on a helpless inanimate object. Oh well, as Conjurer will probably mention, at least she got rid of that horrible Tweeest-O-Flecks wartch strayupp (Mongo pronunciation of the word 'strap'). You're obviously well rid of her...I hate head cases! :shock:
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » October 13th 2017, 8:26pm

Some women do be crazy, AJ. Be glad it want your testicles she smashed up!

Nice stories, all.

I have only killed one watch, my first Rolex way back in 1990 or so. Hungover and still a bit stoned from the night before. Fumbled it trying to put it on. Landed face down on the bathroom tile floor.

Drove the shattered crystal through the dial in multiple places, nearly obliterated the hands. The movement and the watch were a total loss.

I still get nervous putting on and taking off my watches and try to always do so over a soft surface.

That shit scarred me for life.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to General Watch talk